A Sitz Bath is a simple treatment for hemorrhoids, ovarian & rectal pain, itching or bleeding. Sitz Baths are helpful after rectal surgery, bladder, prostrate and vagina infections. Hemorrhoids can be caused by increased pressure during pregnancy, straining on the toilet or being overweight. Unfortunately, piles (Hemorrhoids) can reoccur, however by using a sitz bath you can lessen the painful symptoms and speed up the healing process.
What is a SITZ Bath and how can it help me?
A Sitz Bath is a shallow plastic tub that fits over a standard toilet, also known as a hip bath. Only the hips and buttocks, pelvis and lower abdomen are submerged in water, saline or herbal solutions. A Sitz Bath uses less water than a standard bath and is quick to prepare. So if you are suffering from hemorrhoids, ovarian & rectal pain, itching or bleeding it can provide almost instant relief. Sitz baths can now be purchased online for use in the privacy of your own home.
- Hemorrhoid Treatment
- After childbirth particularly after an episiotomy
- Treating disorders of anal and genital areas, including the entire perineal area
- Comfortable, convenient way to cleanse and promote healing of the perineum
- Easy to clean
- Durable Polyethylene
- Fits all standard toilets
- No kink tubing assures even flow
- Wide contoured edges ensure comfort in use
- Solution bag may be hung above toilet or set on tank top
- Convenient on/off Valve
- Tubing anchored by latch to bottom of bowl to control direction of flow
- Vent prevents accidental overflow
- Uses less water than a bath
- Quickly and effectively relieve pain
- The average length of time for a Sitz Bath is 10 to 20 minutes.
- There is the risk of feeling dizzy after sitting in a Sitz Bath, take caution when getting out and have someone help you if necessary.
Common Additives for different requirements:
A Sitz Bath is a bath of warm water that only covers the hips or buttocks. It is used for treating pain and itching. Typically, there are no special ingredients needed for a Sitz Bath other than water, but some practitioners recommended adding certain ingredients to the water.
- Salt, such as Epsom salt, may be added to the water to reduce soreness and inflammation see
- Vinegar added to a Sitz Bath may provide relief for women with a vaginal yeast infection (Thrush)
- Herbs such as Yarrow and Witch Hazel may be added to a Sitz Bath to reduce inflammation and relieve pain
- Adding baking soda to a Sitz Bath may relieve constipation, inflammation and pain
The Sitz Bath: Post-Birth Healing and Comfort for New Mums
After a vaginal birth, a woman is likely to have sore vaginal tissues. This may be aggravated by a swollen perineum, a tear, an episiotomy, and/or hemorrhoids. Using a Sitz Bath is one of the most helpful ways to assist in healing and ease pain.
With the Sitz Bath a gravity-fed tube runs water into the bowl and bubbles around the opening of the vagina.
Soaking in the Sitz Bath has multiple benefits. Warm water relaxes and soothes the sore tissues, keeps the area clean and prevents infection, and helps with circulation. Cool water may prevent or treat perineal swelling. Always check with you medical practitioner, as some practitioners caution the use of cool water on a newly postpartum woman.
To benefit the most, you may begin using the Sitz Bath 24 hours after birth, when you can be up and about more comfortably. Sit on the bath for 10-20 minutes, 1-3 times a day or as needed, until the soreness is relieved. Most practitioners commonly recommend use of the Sitz Bath for at least one week after birth.
Although water itself is healing, making an herbal tea to put into the Sitz Bath may help the vaginal tissues to heal faster.
Here are a few recipes that you can try – the water should be on the hotter side, but not uncomfortable.
- Natural Antiseptic – 57grams (approx 2oz) of these mixed herbs:
Rosemary, Sage and Garlic
2 TBSP sea salt.
- Soothing and nourishing – 57grams (approx 2oz) of these mixed herbs:
Yarrow, Calendula, Lavender and Rose petals
2 TBSP sea salt
- An old remedy for a soak is to mix equal parts Uva Ursi, Shepherd’s purse and Calendula (available from a herb supplier) in a large jug. Fill the jug with boiling water, seal it and let it stand for 8 hours at room temperature. Strain the herbs from the liquid and add the tea to the bath water.
- Add 2 handfuls each of Yarrow flowers, Calendula flowers, Rosemary leaves, and Comfrey root to 2 pints of just boiled water.
Cover, steep for 10-15 minutes, and strain. This herbal solution will soothe tenderness, relieve inflammation, improve circulation, protect against bacteria, and aid cell repair. Any leftover solution can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Alternatively you can purchase pre-packed infusion sachets:
Need a herbal blend but don’t have time to make up the herbal mixture? Buy Natural Herbal Sachets from WallCann – ideal for Post Partum healing.
A Sitz Bath is an effective treatment for Hemorrhoids. One of the most popular and effective treatments for mild to moderate cases of hemorrhoids. Using a sitz bath is often the first form of treatment doctors will recommend.
Using Epsom Salts with your Sitz Bath
A Sitz Bath is a small tub that is made especially for this purpose. Fill the Sitz Bath with warm water as well as epsom salts or baking soda. Once dissolved, then you are to soak the anal area for fifteen to twenty minutes. Alternatively, use a handy solution bag in combination with the contents of Soothing Epsom Salts Sitz Bath Sachet and control the flow with the adjustable flow control clamp for a more comfortable experience. See website for details
Natural Soothing Herbal Solution with a Sitz Bath
Want to reduce swelling and ease the discomfort of tears or cuts after having a baby? JINNI MD Sitz Baths and Postpartum Herbal Infusion Sachets are available in a kit form or separately at WallCann. An inexpensive, safe and natural way to relieve pain after childbirth.
Another quick alternative is to use a sitz bath and add essential oils to the water. Juniper or lavender essential oils can help reduce the swelling, relieve hemorrhoids and prevent further infection. Anyone suffering from hemorrhoids knows they are very painful and that sitz baths can make a huge difference. Using a sitz bath is very cost effective in comparison to other treatments.
Treating and Preventing hemorrhoids
Make sure you are eating a healthy and well balanced diet to provide the fibre intake that you need and helping to keep your bowels regular. Those who have diets that are very unbalanced and are composed of mostly highly processed foods are typically going to be a much higher risk of haemorrhoids, therefore taking steps to get yourself eating well should be a priority as well.
Portable Bidet Spray – gentler than toilet paper
A portable bidet spray helps you manage the treatment of piles post-partum maternity or lower body post-op conditions when travelling away from home. Gently cleanse the affected area using an affordable bidet spray bottle – sometimes called a shattaf. Buy a portable bidet spray bottle online.
If the condition keeps on persisting despite you using Sitz Bath treatments, then you may want to look into contacting your doctor and looking into more advanced medical treatments.
Some people do develop the condition so bad that actual medical treatments are necessary, so you need to know the difference of when you are recovering and when the situation is staying the same or potentially even getting worse. In most cases though a Sitz Bath will do the job nicely and you won’t have any other problems related to this particular outbreak of the condition.
Hemorrhoid also spelt Haemorrhoid.